COLORADO REAL ESTATE LICENSE RENEWAL REQUIREMENTS
Renewal Cycle: 3 Years
Renewal Deadline: Anniversary of initial licensure
CE Requirement: 24 hours
Required Courses: 12 Hours must be the 3 different 4-hour Annual Code Update Courses
How do I obtain a Colorado real estate license?
Step 1: Meet the Education Requirement
- Determine your Education Requirement – To qualify for a real estate broker license you must complete a minimum of 168 hours of qualifying education. The qualifying education must be obtained through either a nationally accredited community college or university OR a school approved by the Colorado Department of Private and Occupational Schools (DPOS). Qualifying and Additional Education Course Requirements:
- Real Estate Law and Practice (48 hours)
- Colorado Contracts and Regulations (48 hours)
- Trust Accounts and Record Keeping (8 hours)
- Current Legal Issues (8 hours)
- Real Estate Closing (24 hours)
- Practical Application (32 Hours)
- Obtain a certificate of completion from the real estate school where you completed your education.
- If you intend on qualifying based on a degree with a major course of study in real estate, obtain an official transcript from the accredited college or university you attended.
- If you are applying under Colorado’s limited recognition agreements, you must provide a certified license history from each jurisdiction in which you hold a license. (You must include a certified license history form for each jurisdiction in which you hold a license.)
Step 2: Schedule and Pass your Exam
- PSI is the current exam vendor of the Division of Real Estate. Contact PSI Candidate Care Center at 855-744-0313 to make an exam reservation. Exam information and Candidate Bulletin
Step 3: Complete the Background Check Requirement
- Prior to submitting an application for licensure, each application must submit a set of fingerprints to the Colorado Bureau of Investigation (CBI) for the purpose of conducting a Colorado and national fingerprint-based criminal history background check utilizing records of CBI and the FBI. More information
Step 4: Acquire Errors and Omissions (E&O) Insurance
- Every active real estate licensee, including licensed real estate companies with more than one broker, shall have in effect a policy of errors and omissions insurance to cover all acts requiring a license. Licensees can be covered under their company’s umbrella E&O policy. DORA has contracted with Rice Insurance Services, LLC to administer the group E&O insurance program for real estate brokers.
Step 5: Complete the Application
- Colorado uses an electronic application process. You will need to register for an account before you will be able to complete the application process. Online License Application
COLORADO REAL ESTATE FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
What are my Colorado real estate continuing education requirements?
Brokers in Colorado are required to complete 24 hours of continuing education each three-year licensing cycle. Half of those hours (12 hours) must be comprised of three different 4-hour Annual Commission Update Course. These courses are only available from January 1st through December 31st of their year and must be completed prior to December 31st. The remainder of the required hours (12) may be any combination of elective credit hours approved by DORA.
How often must I renew my Colorado real estate license?
Colorado Broker licenses must be renewed every three years.
When do I need to renew my Colorado real estate license?
Currently, all Colorado broker licenses expire on the anniversary date of the date of issuance. However, starting January 1, 2018, all licenses will move to a December 31st expiration date. DORA is currently ironing out the details.
Do I need to report my continuing education to Colorado Division of Real Estate?
No. DORA does not require continuing education to be reported at time of completion. Colorado randomly selects a number of licensees to be part of a real estate broker continuing education audit each quarter. Selected licensees must demonstrate compliance with the continuing education requirements for the three-year license cycle they just completed.
How do I renew my Colorado real estate license?
Colorado requires that brokers renew their license through their online system. You will need to register for an account if you do not already have one.
How much does it cost to renew my Colorado real estate license?
$123.00 | Broker Base Rate Renewal
I missed the due date for my Colorado real estate license renewal, can I still renew?
Yes. Brokers in Colorado may renew their license up to two years past their expiration date.
Do I have to complete any continuing education if my Colorado real estate license is inactive?
No. If your license is inactive you do not need to complete any continuing education. Prior to the reactivation your license, you will be required to show proof of completion of the required continuing education or completion of the 24-hour Broker Reactivation course.
If your license has been inactive for longer than three years, you MUST complete either:
- The State portion of the Colorado Broker’s Exam, or
- 48 hours in Colorado Contracts & Regulations and 24 hours in Real Estate Closings (for a total of 72 hours)
Colorado Department of Regulatory Agencies
Division of Real Estate
1560 Broadway, Suite 110
Denver, CO 80202
Online chat (M-F 10 am – 4 pm MST)
Call Center Hours: Monday – Friday 5:30 am – 8:00 pm Mountain Time
Saturday – Sunday 7:30 am – 3:00 pm Mountain Time