PENNSYLVANIA REAL ESTATE LICENSE RENEWAL REQUIREMENTS
Renewal Cycle: 2 Years
Renewal Deadline: May 31st, even-numbered years
PENNSYLVANIA REAL ESTATE LICENSE FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
- 1st renewal requirements | 14 hours of continuing education
- 7 hours of General module – The Big Picture
- 7 hours of either Residential Module- Gaining Insight of the Residential market
- 7 hours Commercial Module
- Subsequent renewal requirements | 14 hours of continuing education
- 2 hours on the topic of Advertising
- 1.5 hours on the topic of Property Management
Note: The Commission may, for a given biennial license period and with adequate notice to standard license holders, require that all or part of the 14 hours be completed in required topics.
How Do I Renew My Pennsylvania Real Estate License?
The Commission mails renewal notices two to three months prior to the license expiration date. Notices are mailed to the most recent employer address that was reported to the Commission.
Note: The Postal Service does not forward licenses.
How Much Does It Cost to Renew My Real Estate License?
Real Estate Salesperson: $96.00
Associate Broker – Standard and Reciprocal: $96.00
Rental Listing Referral Agent – Sole Proprietor: $126.00
My Pennsylvania real estate license is inactive, do I need to retake the exam?
If your license has been inactive for more than 5 years without renewing your license you must retake the exam.
How do I reinstate my revoked or suspended Pennsylvania real estate license?
You must petition the commission to reinstate your license.
Does Pennsylvania Have Reciprocity with Any Other State?
Pennsylvania currently has reciprocity agreements with Arkansas, Georgia, Louisiana, Maryland, Massachusetts, New York, and West Virginia.
Are there any exceptions to Pennsylvania’s real estate continuing education requirements?
Yes, if you may seek a waiver if you cannot complete your continuing education due to illness, emergency or hardship. Requests to waive continuing education must be filed with the Commission before March 31 of the renewal year unless the Commission is satisfied that you are not able to do so. You must provide the Commission with
- A letter detailing your need for a waiver
- If the request is due to illness you must provide a current letter from your medical or osteopathic physician outlining your illness and explaining why you cannot complete the required continuing education
- If the request is due to active military service, you must provide a copy of your orders verifying the dates of active service.
PENNSYLVANIA REAL ESTATE INITIAL LICENSING
How do I get my Pennsylvania real estate license?
- Be at least 18 years old
- Complete 60 hours of continuing education
- Complete a background check. Background checks can be found here.
- Take the Pennsylvania and National Licensing Exam and pay the $54 exam fee.
- Complete an application for licensure and pay the required application fee.
How long does it take to process a new license?
Applications are processed in the order they are received. It takes about 10 days from the time your license is printed until your broker receives the license.